Monday, July 23, 2007

Improv 101 Redux

The time-honored tradition of this blog is to leave personal stories and experiences out and strictly keep the comedy in. With that in mind, I’ll breeze over the details of my past week in New York City and leave you with the real meat and potatoes. Last week I started Improv 101 at the Upright Citizens Brigade Training Facility, and, that very Sunday, I ended my whirlwind education with a graduation performance at the UCB Theater.

The experience was humbling, very fun, and opened up in my eyes the wonderful world of New York underground comedy. That being said, I want to share with everyone just a tad of what I got to experience.

I had two teachers during the course of the week, Joe Wengert and Gavin Speiller. And, as a service to them and a service to you, I’d like to share with you some pretty funny stuff.

Gavin, my afternoon teacher, seemed very familiar to me, and after a few moments I realized that he was the star of the Channel 102 show Cakey! The Cake from Outer Space. Cakey is one of those things that…that changes you.

Joe, my morning teacher, was a familiar face from my favorite internet sketch, Cufflinks.

And, to close things up for this update, I generally don’t like pimping out my own stuff, but considering how deep into the grip of Harry Potter most people are, I figured I’d share this Harry Potter sketch that my group, Precious Roy, made a few years back.

See you later,
-Steve

No comments: