Thursday, November 15, 2007

Daily Campus Comics - October/November

Wow. I'm an asshole. I said in my last update that I'd start making my little survey of UConn's comics page a weekly thing. That was over a month ago - an even longer gap than last time! YIKES.

Well we might as well get the ball rolling again. Things have been going really well.

Musings is finally cutting the bullshit and asking the big questions. And it's not just limited to the random, invisible strangers this particular comic is targeted at. She's not stopping there.

Nope. She's going after her own friends. Who she sees every day. She's putting her own social life at risk, for the sake of art.

If anyone's wondering, this is what "cutting edge" is.

Yeah man, Hot Topic is so not cool anymore. Once it got all emo and goth and shit it just got lame. What a shame. I, for one, remember when kindly old Mr. Baker started what was known as "Ye Olde Hot-Topick Toffee Shoppe," where the children would laugh and play and were given free toffees because Mr. Baker was so old and kindly. Man, how times have changed.

Maybe you're all too young to remember this. But I'm glad someone else does. Hot Topic sure has changed.

Finally, a pot joke in the Daily Campus Comics Page! At long last!! We haven't had any good pot jokes since the heyday of Matt and Greg, a comic about two cool stoner dudes who smoked weed, hung out with pop culture icons like Oscar the Grouch and Link while smoking weed, and then smoked weed. Then they smoked weed. Those were the days.

Also I think the other kite should be saying, "I'm also as high as you, because I'm also a kite. We're both kites. I find nothing unusual about this situation."

Effed Up is finally taking a stand against a common enemy on UConn's campus: the infirmary. Fuck the infirmary, man! If you've got an injury just take care of that shit yourself. Like Christian Scientists.

"Ice it and keep off of it. How do you keep off of 'IT'?" Now there's some observational comedy worthy of Jerry Seinfeld. Really, what's the deal with "ice it and keep off of it"? What does that MEAN? I mean, there's no way that it could mean "put it on an ice pack and lay down for a while" or anything, right? I'm just totally clueless here. Doctors are so confusing!!

Also that doctor is lookin' snappy. Maybe they shouldn't trust him. Maybe he isn't a doctor. Maybe that's the joke.



Bill Watterson's back, ladies and gentlemen. Or he's been reincarnated in one William Wilson. I mean, let's be honest here... "William Wilson" just SCREAMS "fake name."

Welcome back to the fold, Mr. Watterson. How'd that whole "painting 100 works of art and burning them" thing work out?

So apparently being "original" means "wearing a scarf, communicating with exaggerated arm gestures, and being brunette."

Being original is also being cute, apparently.

Oh man, that is horrible. And he's holding the kid. Oh jeez.

I love this comic.

Hey this is kinda nice too. This is very nice.

I'm in a good mood.

Guess it's time for...

COMIC OF THE MONTH!!

This month: Freshmen 15







So the characters in Freshmen 15 are gettin' laid, drunk dialin', hookin' up with hot dudes and lots of other super-slutty stuff that cool girls do at UConn. It's really cool and shit. Because it's what cool college kids do.

I just hope this new wave of trendiness doesn't spread to more cerebral, respected comics.


NO NO GOD NO

Promise I'll do this sooner next time. Have a good'un.

-Sean Rose

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear God, Freshman 15 is horrendous. How does that shit get printed?! You could draw a better comic in your sleep.

Honestly, though, I didn't think Brothers Wyatt was so bad. It seemed like the only comic I've seen in your rantings thus far that wouldn't feel out of place in the Connecticut Post or some other major publication.

Ben Vigeant said...

I WANT FARM FUNNIES

Travis said...

Phil! Phil! Phil!

Anonymous said...

those comics ar all rly good what are you talking about >:I

Anonymous said...

Freshman 15? You know how she gets her comic? It's because she's the editor of the comics page and she gives herself a double paycheck for both the editing job and her comics and there's noone you can complain to. Musing of a Girl Next Door is obviously her friend that she just put on the payroll too. I've heard she's also pretty unbearable to work for.

Anonymous said...

Tiff, I know the writer of Freshman 15, and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anonymous said...

Stickcat is my lord. And by lord I mean mortal enemy. Not actually my lord. I'm Jewish. In summary, Stickcat is evil.

Scott DaRos said...

it's true, larisa is the editor. though she's not absolutely terrible, she isn't exactly the greatest person to work for.
back in the days of '03, i had to go through a series of "try-outs" to get my comic in the Daily Campus. we had meetings, there were rules, garbage rarely made the paper, etc. with larisa running things, there's no structure, no quality, and no sense.
but besides that, Will Wilson is a real kid. also, why hasn't my comic been in any reviews yet????

Anonymous said...

Why not talk about Phil? BECAUSE THE GUY WHO WRITES THIS PAGE IS FRIENDS WITH HIM! Blundering other people's comics is "fun" but not itself? Gee that is almost as bad as Larisa and her posse of people she pays. And Scott, be glad that yours isn't on this page. It just might mean that yours is worth something better than most. CRITICIZE PHIL YA MORONS!